Skip to main content

The Value of Lab Meetings

 

Eli Patt is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. He was awarded a Fall 2017 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on child development and memory under Dr. Daniel Dilks.

Every Friday at 3PM the Dilks Lab gathers for its weekly meetings. As it nears time to meet, people begin leaving their desks and computers, grabbing tea and snacks on their way to the main conference room. From the coffee machine, one of the graduate students shouts a joke to another, and everyone laughs. The atmosphere is cheerful and everyone is excited to sit around the oval conference table in the main room of the lab. 

The meeting begins, and we discuss any business matters first. Usually this is short. Then to the heart of the meeting, most often some form of presentation, talk, poster, etc. 

I remember the first lab meeting I attended. It felt like some combination of a well-articulated lecture and a highly contested hockey match. The speaker began, and it was not long before people started interrupting the speaker with questions. Some of these questions related to understanding the presentation, the methods, a past study, for further clarification, etc. Yet others were more pointed and shocked me; people questioned the validity of the methods used, criticized sets of stimuli as the presentation proceeded, and proposed alternative explanations for data that had just been interpreted by the presenter. When the presentation ended, a more philosophical debate emerged. Questions about the underlying theoretical question, the structure and organization of brain processes, evolutionary basses for the mechanisms being researched. At 5PM Dr. Dilks looked at the four undergraduate students and dismissed us, thanking us for attention and participation. 



Over the next few months I became more comfortable in the lab, and especially in the meetings. One of the most important parts of becoming comfortable was the encouragement of the other members of the lab. Intermittently during the meetings, the presenter, or another audience member, would stop the lab meeting, checking that I and the other undergrads (and everyone for that matter) understood what was going on. I was encouraged to ask questions, no matter the question, and was especially encouraged to share an opinion when I was most quiet. Before becoming comfortable, there was something that prevented me from asking questions and participating amongst the intimidating professors and graduate students. This “barrier” prevented me from learning from the experience. It was only through becoming comfortable participating, especially with potentially being wrong in participating, that I was able to gain from the experience. This is when I began to learn the value of lab meetings.

Though there are many lessons I learned, I want to share two in particular. The first is the value of the peer-review process, and the second is the value in making mistakes and being wrong.

Take the following example. A member of the lab spends weeks preparing stimuli, writing code, and running ten pilot subjects. They double- and triple-checked everything before starting and were sure that the stimuli most appropriately represented the behavioral paradigm they were attempting to create. They prepare a presentation and are excited to share the data. Yet when ten others are sitting around a table and watching the presentation, someone always finds something to challenge. And it only ever improves the overall project. The questions and criticisms most often lead to productive and constructive change. Alternatively, the presenter may become surer of his work and its validity by standing-up to criticism and having an answer to the questions. Either way, the peer-review process, and moreover, the live, discussion based exploration of one’s work, is critical to ensuring and enhancing the study’s validity.

Furthermore, in these meetings, I have learned the most from the times when I was wrong. Becoming comfortable being wrong is a part of being able to fully participate and learn from the experience. Having the confidence to raise my hand or lead a lab meeting, knowing I will likely be wrong about some aspect of what I am sharing, was crucial to learning the value of lab meeting.

In the end, perhaps the most valuable skill that can be learned from lab is an ability to articulately and persuasively communicate one’s thoughts, ideas, etc. The lab meeting is a place where one is encouraged to speak, and potentially be wrong. By refining my process of thinking and articulating myself, I am working towards that ultimate goal.


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese