Skip to main content

An Emory Undergraduate Research Experience

Daniel Kikuchi is a senior majoring in Biology. He was awarded a Spring 2016 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on atherosclerosis under Dr. Kathy Griendling. 

During my freshmen year at Emory, I took an introductory biology course. I enjoyed the laboratory portion of the class and wanted to learn how authentic research was conducted. Towards the end of the summer after my freshmen year I began to look for a lab. I emailed approximately 20 professors in search of a position. I was told by friends that it was important to email many professors because some do not respond and some do not take undergraduates. Therefore, I was surprised to receive eight interviews and just as many offers. I ended up choosing to work in the laboratory of Dr. Kathy Griendling in the Cardiology Division of the School of Medicine. I choose the Griendling lab not only because I found her work interesting but also because I thought it was where I would be able to learn the most.

In the Griendling lab, my research has been focused on understanding the molecular mechanism of atherosclerosis; specifically, how vascular smooth muscle cells contribute to the progression of atherosclerotic plaque formation. We have identified a key regulator of this process, Poldip2, and are still uncovering its functions in vascular smooth muscle cells. I began working in on this project in Fall 2014 as a Scholarly Inquiry and Research at Emory (SIRE) fellow. During my first semester in the lab, I learned about the research process and began to develop some basic laboratory skills. As I SIRE fellow, I also participated in weekly professional development workshops. At the end two semesters, I presented my work at the Undergraduate Research Symposium. In Summer 2015 I worked full time (~40 hours/week) in the Griendling lab as a Summer Undergraduate Research at Emory (SURE) fellow. During this experience I was able to invest more time in lab than is possible during the academic year. As a result, I was able to learn new lab techniques and more rapidly develop independence. At the conclusion of SURE, I presented my work at the Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium where I was awarded honorable mention for my poster presentation. During Fall 2015, I studied abroad and did not work in the Griendling lab. I did, however, apply for a SIRE Independent grant to pursue a project of my own in the Griendling lab for Spring 2016. I was awarded a SIRE grant and I will use the funds to investigate the role of Poldip2 in mediating DNA damage in the vasculature.


Over the past year I developed an interest in research as a result of my experiences in the Griendling lab. I have found the prospect of discovering something new exciting and the intellectual and technical demands of research incredibly rewarding. Through this work, I have begun to think critically about experimental design, read relevant literature from the field, and write a scientific proposal. I have also leaned how to perform cell culture, microscopy techniques, and a number of biochemical assays. Not only have I learned about research and laboratory techniques, I have also been exposed to the various careers paths available in research. I have also enjoyed the community and cooperation of the lab environment. 

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese