Skip to main content

For the Love of Research

Margaret Martinez is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2016 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on synesthesia under Dr. Simon Lacey.

I had just begun to enter the world of research when I first arrived to Emory University. In high school, I worked under an M.D./Ph.D. at a psychiatric institute processing MRI images, and quite frankly, I often felt like I had no idea what I was doing. Despite my constant feelings of confusion and being out of my depth, there was something about research that pulled me in, so as a freshman, I participated in the Research Partners Program. I began my work on synesthesia in Sathian lab having no idea what synesthesia even was. Now, after a year of practice of learning, I can automatically explain that synesthesia is a crossing of the senses. It’s when a person has an automatic sensory response to an unrelated stimulus with the most common type of synesthesia being grapheme-color. My research had to do with comparing those who experience synesthesia to everyday controls. There are some papers in the past that suggested synesthesia lies along the same spectrum as cross-modal correspondences. Cross-modal correspondence is a phenomenon when people associate a stimulus in one modality with a seemingly unrelated stimulus in another modality. For example, most people associate high pitch with high elevation. When the year came to a close, I knew I wanted to sign on for another year of research at my lab. I also decided to become a peer mentor to pass on what I learned from my time as a SIRE student. I had the opportunity to present this research both at the end of the year and at the SfN Conference last October. Now, following up on that research I’m looking at how synesthesia relates to the associations made in metaphors.


I love my research. I love being able to meet new people through it, and I find myself engrossed while listening to the synesthetes talk about their individual experiences. One girl, I recall, explained to me how the frequency of letters in a language affected her ability to learn them. Some languages had a lot of silvers and blues and it appealed to her. While others, had a lot of harsher reds and yellows that made the words become more overwhelming to look at.  Another synesthete told me how she used to complain as a toddler how the letters hung on her preschool wall were in all the wrong colors. Some realized early on that they had synesthesia especially when their parents also had it while others had never even realized that their perceptions were unique until they heard about the study. I love talking about my research with people and being able to get feedback from people who have experience in the field.

Of course, there are also a lot of problems that need to be worked through when it comes to research. Not everything always goes as planned, and that’s, for better or worse, just part of the process. Throughout my first year and beyond, I dealt with double booked rooms, broken laptops, no-shows, rude participants, participants that never seemed to want to leave and more. When I’m only working 8 hours a week and each participant needing 2 hours scheduled, every time I couldn’t get data was very frustrating. Processing the data took some to get down as well. When I first started, processing for one person took about 3 hours of my time. Thankfully, I had amazing mentors to help me along and teach me the miracle of pivot tables. As commonly happens with research, the problem we ran into was funding. All my participants were paid cash $10/hour and when gathering a study together, this can quickly add up. Although there are people willing to volunteer to be a part of the study, they are few and far between. Even more frustrating was trying to find a specific population willing to volunteer. If finding synesthetes wasn’t hard enough, I was forced to take on an even bigger challenge before funding came through. This, however, was a challenge I gladly accepted, and fortunately, thanks to Undergraduate Research Programs, I no longer have to worry quite as much about finances. The research process is a long, complicated one full of unexpected twists sometimes. With response from reviewers, I have found myself revisiting my freshman year research project. With more feedback and more subjects, I sometimes find what I’m expecting and sometimes find just new questions. Either way, I’ve learned a lot and become more and more interested in my subject matter.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese