Skip to main content

Reaching For the Stars: A Study of Bacterial Antibiotic Susceptibility and Response to Media pH Under Simulated Microgravity

Daniela Farchi is a Fourth-Year in the college majoring in Biology. She was awarded a Fall 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the American Society for Gravitational and Space Research Conference in Denver, Colorado.





In the summer of 2018 I had the opportunity to participate in an intensive one week space microbiology workshop in Universidad del Valle in Guatemala. A Guatemalan-born researcher, Dr. Luis Zea, who now works at BioServe Space Technologies in Boulder, Colorado was invited to share his passion for microgravitational biological research with other Guatemalans passionate about science. The workshop assembled teams of four composed of High School, Undergraduate, and Graduate students and scientific professionals and gave each team one week to design, carry out, analyze and synthesize an experiment related to space microbiology. The team that I led designed an experiment called “Premature Autolysis of Klebsiella pneumoniae Induced by Simulated Microgravity at Different pH and Carbenicillin Concentrations” that aimed to test the effect of simulated  microgravity on K. pneumoniae’s susceptibility to carbenicillin in differing pH media.  
           

 I attended the ASGSR conference this November in Denver, Colorado, where I had the privilege to dive deeper into the fascinating field of gravitational and space research. During conference sessions I was exposed to methods of inquiry that I did not imagine possible, expanding my perspective on the possibilities that research allows. I networked with renowned academics who shared their passion for the field with me and invited me to consider it as a potential career path. When presenting, I was asked questions that made me consider the work I did from new angles and interpret it more deeply while considering future directions. Additionally, I was invited to visit the BioServe Space Technologies laboratories where multiple experiments that have been carried out on space exploration missions have been designed and prepared, and a hub for the preparation of the work of a plethora of national laboratories for space travel. I even had the opportunity to sit in the prototype for the vessel that will be used as the Mars lander. 


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese