Skip to main content

Mysore Summer 2019- I wish I had More of Mysore!

Ruhika Prasad is a Senior majoring in Anthropology and Human Biology. She was awarded a Summer 2019 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on mental health needs in Myosore, Karnataka under Dr. Joyce Flueckiger. 


This summer was a whirlwind of amazing experiences. I couldn’t believe I had the opportunity to conduct my thesis research in Mysore, Karnataka this summer. It was incredible to spend time in India and work with an amazing organization to do it! I worked with the Public Health Research Institute of India (PHRI- link: http://www.phrii.com/). 



Specifically, I conducted my honor’s thesis research here in Mysore on populations involved in mental health, whether that’s community health stakeholders or people with mental health needs. I really was interested in how women cope with stressors in their lives and who they go to for help with their mental health. I learned through interviews and focus group discussions that most of the women I saw were going to a variety of people at the same time, and not everyone was professional. For example, some women would go to astrologists, and then realizing that this might not have worked by itself, they turn to a religious healer or a psychiatrist. This form of simultaneous treatment really was cool for me to see, because in the Western world the mode of treatment for mental illness is so different
In total I completed (in English): 
1.     15 In depth interviews with community health providers
a.     4 psychologists 
b.     3 psychiatrists 
c.     2 astrologists 
d.     2 sorcerers/past life therapists
e.     2 astrologists 
f.      2 spiritual healers 
g.     2 religious’ healers 
2.     6 Focus Group Discussions 
a.     6 women per discussion
                                               i.     1st kind of discussion: 3 discussions with women having less than a 10th standard (10thgrade) education 
                                             ii.     2nd kind of discussion: 3 discussions with women having more than a 10th standard (10thgrade) education
3.     6 In depth follow-up interviews with women from focus group discussions 
a.     3 from the first kind of discussion 
b.     3 from the second kind of discussion
 It was a very fruitful research endeavor! And, the wonderful staff at the institute along with my guides Mrs. Jay, Dr. Weaver, Dr. Flueckiger, Dr. Madhivanan, and others taught me so much about research, ethics, mental health, and how to do it all with kindness.
India was a great place to work, I love going back to my roots and exploring a stigmatized topic such as this has made me very appreciative of people doing work in this field such as those at the institute. 
Over the course of three months, I got to go to a training session on health disparities plaguing India and specifically rural India at the University of Mysore with the other PHRI interns, I bought my first saree and attended an Indian wedding, and I got to explore different parts of Southern India. 
I learned so much about a new culture I had never experienced before and felt so lucky to have Undergraduate Research Programs (URP) work with me to help me figure out the logistics of going to India. I had fun conversations with my coworkers, and even though I did not necessarily speak Kannada the local language, I was able to pick up a few words and this helped me communicate better with both the interviewees and the staff at PHRI. 
Here are a few of the activities I got to engage in! 


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese