Skip to main content

Non-Structural Protein 1 (NS1) in Zika Virus Pathogenesis

Rumi Habib is a senior who is a Biology and Philosophy double major. He was awarded a Fall 2018 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on the Zika Virus under Dr. Ioanna  Skountzou.


Although it was first discovered in 1947, the Zika virus didn’t enter the headlines until 2015. During the 2015-2016 epidemic, a wave of infants born with microcephaly, a neurodevelopmental condition that causes babies to have smaller than normal heads, resulted in the World Health Organization declaring the outbreak an international public health emergency. Viruses in the same family as the Zika virus include dengue, West Nile, and yellow fever. However, during the epidemic it emerged that Zika fever, even though milder than the diseases caused by its relatives, has some very unusual features. With microcephaly being the major one, it also emerged that Zika could be sexually transmitted, can infect the eye, can cause thrombocytopenia (low platelet levels), and in extremely rare cases can cause neurological issues in adults such as Guillain-Barré syndrome or myelitis1. Though these symptoms rarely manifest, they suggest that the virus has a unique mode of pathogenesis(the way the virus spreads through the body during infection). However, exactly how Zika causes these symptoms is still poorly understood.



My research project is looking at the role of one of the virus’ 10 proteins, Non-Structural protein 1 (NS1), in its pathogenesis. The NS1 protein is unusual because cells infected with the virus secrete it into the bloodstream, something that should alert the immune system to the virus. Studies have found that NS1 based vaccines are effective2, and so it is unclear why the virus “vaccinates” for itself during infection. Towards this project, we are currently still in the process of getting the NS1 protein by genetically engineering a line of cells to produce it, and upon isolating it will look at its effects in mice.

Working on the project, I have found that perhaps the most frustrating yet exciting part of the scientific process is its unpredictable nature. When reading scientific papers, experiments are presented in a way that makes projects seem linear. However, whether interpreting unexpected results, troubleshooting failed experiments, or figuring out how to move forward, the process of science is nothing like the clean-cut way in which it is presented.

 
One of the best parts of studying virology is that it’s an excuse to learn about all of biology. Working in virology combines approaches from various subfields such as genetics, biochemistry, evolutionary biology, and more. This is shown by how some of the greatest discoveries in biology, such as the fact that DNA stores information or the triplet code, came from studying viruses. Furthermore, there is direct translational value to virology research, and the study of viruses is useful not only in working towards curing diseases, but also for the development of new technologies. Examples of virus-based technologies on the horizon include oncolytic virus therapies for cancers, vectors for gene delivery, and recombinant expression systems for making proteins. The development of such technologies, and the constant emergence of new diseases such as Zika, mean that it is an exciting time to study virology. 


1.    Aliota, M. T., Bassit, L., Bradrick, S. S., Cox, B., Garcia-Blanco, M. A., Gavegnano, C., . . . Weaver, S. C. (2017). Zika in the Americas, year 2: What have we learned? What gaps remain? A report from the Global Virus Network. Antiviral Research, 144(Supplement C), 223-246. 
2.    Brault A.C., Domi A., McDonald E.M., Talmi-Frank D., McCurley N., Basu R., Robinson H.L., Hellerstein M., Duggal N.K., Bowen R.A., et al (2017). A Zika vaccine targeting NS1 protein protects immunocompetent adult mice in a lethal challenge model. Sci. Rep, 7:14769.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent
Research Grants.


Comments

  1. This is real take it seriously, Who will believe that herbal medicine can cure herpes, I never believe that this will work, I have to spend a lot of money getting drugs from the hospital to keep me and my son healthy, it got to a point that I was waiting for death to come because I was broke, one day I hard about this great man called Dr. Abolo who is well know for Herpes, HIV, and cancer cure, I decided to email him I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied to my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared herbal medicine and, he gave my details to the Courier Office. they told me that in 4-8 days I will receive the package and after receiving it, I took the medicine as prescribed by him at the end of two weeks, he told me to go to the hospital for a check-up, and I went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me Herpes simplex virus-negative, and my son and I thought it was a joke, I went to another hospital and was also negative, thank you for saving our life's, I promise I will always testify of your good works. if you are a herpes simplex virus patient, contact him and I am sure you will get cured, contact him via Email@ draboloherbalhome@gmail.com
    THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. WILLIAMS CAN CURE
    . HERPES
    . HIV/AIDS
    . CANCER
    . DIABETES
    . LASSA FEVER
    . GONORRHEA
    . MENOPAUSE DISEASE
    . EPILEPSY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello viewers I am glad to have met with the powerful herbal healer called
    Dr voodoo who use his herbs to cure my HIV disease I suffered from 15years,
    but now I am a happy woman and i am free from this sickness that has been
    problem to my living, after using Dr voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i
    was diagnose negative, I will recommend Dr voodoo to everyone reading this
    article because this herbal healer is capable to heal anything, the
    scientist said has no cure, Email him : voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or
    add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greatest Joy in my life today is that i have been cured of Herpes by a Doctor called Dr. Ishiaku, I was infected with HERPES Disease in 2019, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution,so that my body can be okay. Until one faithful day as I was browsing on the internet I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ishiaku has helped people in curing Herpes and other diseases, quickly copied his WhatsApp number so I contacted him for a solution for my Herpes disease, So Dr. Ishiaku told me that he was going to prepare his herbal medicine for my health which he sent to me, luckily after 2week my Herpes was cured. Dr Ishiaku is well recognized as one of the best herbalist doctors in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or cry anymore on this disease when the cure is available. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT,there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures  ALS, HIV AIDS,  HPV, DIABETES and lots more.
    For enquiries:
    E-mail: ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com
    WhatsApp: +2348180828544

    ReplyDelete
  4. TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT CURED TOTALLY FROM HERPES VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU HERBS

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes  Virus by a Doctor called Dr ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how Doctor Ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his email: (ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com)or what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) and get all your problems solved.
    1)Sickness of any kind
    2)Help to cure  HEPATITIS B, DIABETICS, HIV/AIDS  and BIPOLAR
    3)Divorce, Breakup problem, To Re-unit or to cast a spell
    4)Pregnancy problem
    5)Financial problem and Job promotion
    6)bad mouth odour or tooth problem
    7)eye or ear problem
    8) enlargement of manhood


    Website: www.ishiakuherbalcure.Wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The greatest Joy in my life today is that i have been cured of Herpes by a Doctor called Dr. Ishiaku, I was infected with HERPES Disease in 2019, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution,so that my body can be okay. Until one faithful day as I was browsing on the internet I saw a testimony on how Dr. Ishiaku has helped people in curing Herpes and other diseases, quickly copied his WhatsApp number so I contacted him for a solution for my Herpes disease, So Dr. Ishiaku told me that he was going to prepare his herbal medicine for my health which he sent to me, luckily after 2week my Herpes was cured. Dr Ishiaku is well recognized as one of the best herbalist doctors in Africa, you don't have to be sad anymore or cry anymore on this disease when the cure is available. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT,there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cures ALS, HIV AIDS, HPV, DIABETES and lots more.


    For enquiries:

    E-mail: ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com


    What-sApp: +2348180828544


    ReplyDelete
  6. I got diagnose of herpes virus last year, and i was taking some drugs prescribed for me by my family doc the drugs could not work and the herpes in my system was very terrifying that i was so depressed the good news is that i never gave up in searching for natural cure for herpes virus ,cause i believe so much in herbal medication.. One faithful morning i read a comment from a lady called Destiny Hudson on how she was cured with natural herbs made by Priest Babaka from somewhere is West Africa, i immediately copied out his contact email:babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka and explain all my herpes problem to him via his email. the big truth is that it took just two week for his herbal medication to cure me completely without side affect. Till date am herpes virus free and all thanks to Priest Babaka for his good deeds for me, Once again am very happy to share this great testimony of Priest Babaka cure hurry up now and contact him via his email address: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka and see what he can do

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand that stress can be an incentive for breakouts. My mouth and gums were all lesions and bumps and I was afraid to go out in public. All that helped was an anti-viral medicine taken orally. I thought it was a one-time deal; however, it has resurfaced unexpectedly and I am so let down. I am looking into Ayurvedic oils like melaleuca and lavender oil for handling the outbreaks of this virus. I am over 30, and not happy. This led me to the search for a permanent cure for the Herpes Virus which has taken a toll on my health, When i came across Herbalist Oduku Traditional Herbal Medicine, After seeing some reviews and visiting his facebook page, I placed an order for his Traditional Herbal Medicine , which I applied for 18 days , I am so Glad and delighted to be finally cured of herpes Virus 1. You too can get cured and have a better life, Contact Herbalist Oduku on His mail : odukuherbalremedies@gmail.com or  https://www.facebook.com/odukunaturalherbalremedies/ WhatsApp +2349064430408. God bless You

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese