Skip to main content

Smooth Seas Never Made Skilled Researchers: A Perspective on Cell Death

 

Brandon Chen is a rising senior majoring in Biology. He was awarded a Spring 2018 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on proteins in cancer cells under Dr. Lawrence Boise. 

Research is a constant interplay between breaking known knowledge and establishing new knowledge. The molecular biology textbook you read today can be outdated at this moment when you’re reading this post. These incessant challenges of what we know, and the pursuit of truth are the motivations that drive me into research. I am curious about the cell, the grandiose interconnectivity that drives cellular functions, and molecular mechanisms that make a cell a cell!  

I was fortunate enough to find an amazing lab placement here at Emory to fulfill my dream of dissecting and analyzing cellular functions. The Boise lab over at the Winship Cancer Institute is a cell biology/cancer biology lab that studies apoptosis, the process of how cell dies, and multiple myeloma, a cancer involving antibody secreting plasma cells. I am particularly interested in studying the delicate balance of cellular death processes since it would be great if we could just turn on all these “death switches” ithe cancer cells. However, the solution is simply not that intuitive. If we happen to trigger too much cell death, then all the cells will die, and that is usually what happens when patients are treated with chemotherapy. The patients will suffer from agonizing side effects due to the death of normal cells in addition to cancer cells. Therefore, it is of significant importance for us to understand how the cell dies and target the death of cancer cells. 


Inside a cell there are two counteracting types of proteins, one that drives survival and one antagonizes their activity and activates cell death. My specific project focuses on a protein that is important in nullifying the death-triggering proteins and the amplification of it leads to drug resistance in various cancer cells. Particularly, I study how specific mutations in the pro-survival protein, Mcl-1, can alter its ability to protect the cell from dying or cause more death. Thanks to the URP Independent Grant for Spring 2018, I have been able to support my work in the lab with some sophisticated procedures 

During my time at the Boise lab, I have encountered several ups and downs. Since I am using a new model that hasn’t been tested by any of our lab members before, I was venturing into a new territory. It is both exciting and also intimidating at first, but I realized this feeling of discovery and ground breaking is why I love science and research! It is undoubtedly frustrating when my experiments did not work, but it was way more valuable from troubleshooting and learning where I can improve. As a scientist-in-training, I was extremely blessed that Dr. Boise could give me an independent project to work with. It is a great opportunity to let my scientific brain wander and explore areas that intrigues me. Having this degree of independence is a leisure that few undergraduates can indulge, and I am grateful that Dr. Boise and all the members of the Boise lab can provide a nurturing environment for me to ask question and pitch in ideas for my project. In the end, what makes a great scientist is his or her curiosity, and we are here to decode the mystery of life. 

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese