Skip to main content

Of Monarchs and Me - Finding YOUR Best Fit in Research


Yaw Kumi-Ansu is a recent graduate who majored in Biology. He was awarded a Spring 2018 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on Monarch butterflies under Dr. Jacobus de Roode. 

I had my first taste of biological research in my introductory biology classes at Oxford College and my interest was built further in the research club established by the Biology department. This served as an avenue to discuss research from many different fields with Emory researchers and hopefully help us (students) identify labs or projects that may be of interest to us. It was at one of these meetings that I got the opportunity to meet Dr. Berry Brossi through a Skype meeting. I took an interest in his research into bee ecology and pollinator behavior due to the multidisciplinary approach of his work. Upon interviewing with him some weeks later to join the lab, I realized that though I had interest in his work, I preferred something more related to immunity and disease. Based on this, he recommended me to his colleagues, Dr. Jacobus de Roode and Dr. Nicole Gerardo, who currently serve as my co-advisers. In their lab, I have had the opportunity to study and investigate innate immune genes in monarch butterflies, particularly in the Toll pathway. 


Monarchs are an emerging model organism and thus hold much potential for research outside the usual star players such as fruit flies and mice. One interesting thing about them is that they feed on milkweed during the larval stage and previous research suggests that this may be involved in clearance or resistance against their natural parasite. Severe infection can often prevent emergence from the pupal case during metamorphosis. Owing to the medicinal nature of this diet (as a suggested alternative form of defense against infection), I am interested in finding out if this has influenced the immune genes of monarch butterflies in different global populations. To achieve this, I employ bioinformatics tools to identify and compare sequences of immune genes that may have interesting trends relative to the background genome. This approach and hypothesis stems from studies that have identified arthropods that have lost genes for significant factors immune pathways, rendering them essentially inactive (in response to infection). One thing that ties some of these arthropods together is their reliance on their microbiome for extraction of nutrients and as such, may have unique adaptations to mediate interactions with their microbiome. This is particularly interesting considering the perceived universal importance of the innate immune pathways as a prominent non-selective defense mechanism in invertebrates. 


Working on my thesis has been fun and rewarding but also challenging owing the difficulty in carrying over some knowledge from well-studied species to my relatively less probed monarchs. I greatly appreciate that my advisers and mentor give me a lot of room to propose and implement ideas towards strategies for my inquiry. I have received great guidance, especially from my mentor, in making the right assumptions and formulating hypotheses which would then appropriately drive the investigations. In a regular classroom setting, you learn how to answer ‘what’ and ‘when’ but in research, you learn and demonstrate how to answer ‘why’ and ‘how’. In such novel studies, the wrong assumptions or the over-statement of a conclusion can throw off the entire course of the inquiry. I often joke that my research is 90% hypothesizing and troubleshooting, but this is the case in most research and, in the end, even the smallest contribution to a new study could have a great impact soon. The goal is to ask the questions that matter, and hope that those will keep spurring on new inquiries.


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese