Skip to main content

Technical Difficulties

Kevin Ding is a recent graduate who majored in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology and minored in Spanish. Kevin was awarded a Fall 2016 Independent Research Grant which he used to conduct research on measuring seizure intensity under Dr. Claire-Anne Gutekunst.

Over the past semester, I’ve been carrying out research in the Neurosurgery department, studying the expression of a certain protein in the rat brain after a seizure. When I proposed my project, I tried to keep it simple. Look at the how this protein is expressed after a certain amount of time following the seizure, and see if it is a good measure for seizure intensity. The first month of research proved to me what all my previous mentors have told me in the past—even the simplest experiment can prove to be extremely difficult to carry out.

The first month of my project consisted of finding antibodies that would work and allow me to visualize the proteins of interest. One failed antibody after another, I felt like time was slipping through my hands and nothing was getting accomplished. A week’s worth of preparation would lead to nonexistent results due to a faulty antibody. I’ve included images of when my stain went very well (image1), and when, inexplicably, it turns out awfully (image2). My mentor felt my frustration, and told me that this is how research can be. Sometimes things just don’t go the way you expect them to. And sometimes they do. We live for that glorious feeling of when things finally work out and you can run through the halls shouting “Eureka!”




But that moment hasn’t happened for me, yet. I’ve spent days and nights at my lab, working more hours than I had ever anticipated. What have kept me going are the small glimmers of hope amongst a series of failed experiments. When I finally get the antibody that works, or obtain a data point that suggests my hypothesis may not be nonsense after all.

I’ve found that research takes tenacity, mental strength, and a bit of luck. A post-doctorate researcher told me that he once worked with fruit flies for three years without obtaining any substantial data. I asked him what got him through those years, and he responded, “Honestly, stupidity. I was on the verge of quitting, but I didn’t want to end this part of my career on a negative note.” Soon, he published one of the most groundbreaking papers in Nature Neuroscience on the inheritance of parental olfactory experiences, and was offered his to direct his own lab at the Yerkes Primate Research Center. His perseverance acts as a model for me to follow and shows me that we don’t always make the right choices or propose the best projects, but we experience the most growth, as an individual and as a researcher, during our times of failure.



I was also given the opportunity to ask a group of researchers the question of what they do to overcome roadblocks and failures that occur so often in the field of scientific research during a recent scholarship interview. The interview ended with my question, and the panel seemed to agree that their tenacity stems from their passion and love for the field, and their conviction that their hypotheses are correct.

Ultimately, conducting independent research at Emory for my honors thesis through the SIRE Independent Research Grant has allowed me to experience how difficult research can be. I’ve also had the opportunity to learn an incredible amount about seizure mechanisms and epilepsy, in addition to designing well thought out experiments. Although I haven’t had the most success in terms of positive data, this experience has been rewarding nonetheless.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese