Skip to main content

A Step Into the Scientific World


Wendy Lee is a junior majoring in Biology. She was awarded a Fall 2017 Conference Grant which she used to attend the 2017 Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students.

As my first research conference, ABRCMS 2017 in Phoenix, Arizona, has provided me with an eye-opening and career-launching experience. In contrast to the only research presentation experience I’ve had, which was a small-scale poster symposium at the end of the SURE program at Emory last summer, the ABRCMS biomedical research conference gathers undergraduates, graduates, post-docs, and medical professionals for a 4-day intensive workshop with hundreds of poster presentations occurring concurrently. The wide variety of scientific disciplines, including engineering, chemistry, psychology, etc., provided me an opportunity to be exposed to the current advancements and recent research in the fields that I am unfamiliar with. Through the conference, I was also able to meet scientists who are also studying RNA binding proteins. For instance, I met a medical scientist from the University of Michigan at the phone charging station, and we had an extended conversation about how to further study a specific poly-A RNA binding protein family in neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative disorders with different techniques. He also provided me with his first-hand experience of the M.D/Ph.D track, defining the goals and the outcomes and results of this career path. Our conversation even extended to nutrition and disease, as his clinical practice deals with ALS and dementia patients who would require extensive nutritional care. I’ve never been adept in networking, but with this pleasant exchange, I suppose networking wasn’t that difficult after all. 


In addition to random encounters with intelligent researchers, there were many formal networking and professional development workshops to help graduate students and PIs become better mentors, to help students build portfolios, and to help students identify potential career paths and prepare for MD/PhD program or graduate programs in the sciences. With these workshops and panels, I was able to voice my questions directly to and receive responses from multiple perspectives and help me make my own decisions. The graduate students and post-docs at the conference shared their personal experience of deciding to pursue science as a career, applying to graduate school, picking a lab, and pushing through the difficult times in science with grit and resilience. The best part about these small workshops is the opportunity to meet like-minded people in such a massive venue who understands the excitement when science finally works for a fleeting moment and empathizes with your misery of continuous failure.

I felt nervous prior to presenting my poster because there were many experts in my field on the forefront of research in genetics and cellular biology judging my poster. However, the scientists I’ve met have debunked my myth about mean serious scientists who try to outwit anybody with their research. I had an audience member who was also using Drosophila as a model system, and she complimented the quality of the eye images I took and asked me my methods and setup. There were also scientists who provided me insight into the potential experiments and methods to answer my hypothesis more thoroughly. The most fascinating encounter during the presentation session was my conversation with the scientist who found the gene that causes X fragile syndrome. He shared the story of his discovery and his current work in RNA binding proteins, which are crucial to many genetic disorders in the nervous system. I was in awe of the passion and the curiosity of the scientists and student researchers I’ve met, and when I felt the fire kindle within me when people shared their research and gave comments about how I could advance my research, I realized that research would certainly become a part of my future career. 



ABCRMS provides a platform for underrepresented scientists to voice their thoughts and empower them through intellectual stimulation and scholarly exchange. The experience at a national science research conference provides me with a clear picture of the current efforts in the sciences as well as the vast opportunities that lies ahead of a scientific career. Wining a presentation award also provides reassurance that maybe science and research is destined to be part of my career trajectory. This meeting provides sense of assurance that the doubts, concerns, worries, and failures are all valid and ubiquitous among undergraduate students, and even graduate students who are already in the real science world. This experience giving a poster presentation is not only a direct advancement of my career in the sciences, whether it may be as a full-time researcher, medical scientist, or a physician, but it also serves as a reminder of my initial excitement and passion for scientific discoveries. I have definitely returned as a better speaker, more sociable person, and a more curious undergraduate research who is eager to find out the details about something that may be insignificant to the general populace, but highly treasured in the scientific world.


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 

Comments

  1. Hello everyone! I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since six years with my wife but today I am happy that I have been cured from it with the herbal medicine made by Dr abaka the great healer, I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr abaka cure Him from Herpes Virus. I quickly contacted him to get the cure and today me and my wife are now totally free from the virus, I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there,please sir keep your good work cause there are many out there who is in need of your healing medicine. Contact him now on his email: drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com or text or call him on +(234) 9063230051.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese