Skip to main content

Studying the Mind's iPod


Lokita Rajan is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology and Economics. She was awarded a Fall 2016 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on auditory imagery under Dr. Simon Lacey.

My research is in neurology.  I am looking at how people perceive sounds based on their levels of musical experience.  I am recruiting musicians who are affiliated with Emory in some way, so they are either music majors or are members of an Emory University music ensemble, such as the Symphony Orchestra, Concert Choir, or University Chorus.  I am also recruiting individuals with no musical experience to take part in my study.  While the research grant has made it a lot easier to attract participants since I can now offer them a financial incentive to participate in my study, I have still found it difficult to recruit people with the appropriate levels of musical experience.  Relatively few musicians have answered my flyers inviting research participants, though I put them in high-traffic areas of Schwartz Center for Performing Arts on campus.  I have also had many members of the Emory community answer my flyers even though they do not qualify to participate in my study, that is, they have a few years of musical training but are not currently playing an instrument or singing regularly.


I spoke with my mentor about how we would ensure we were only testing a certain caliber of musician in the “musicians” category.  He is from the United Kingdom, where there is a standardized ‘grades’ system for musicians that objectively measures each individual’s musical ability on a standard scale.  This grading scale, determined by the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, provides a helpful degree of standardization in the United Kingdom.  Unfortunately, such rating scales are much more subjective and vary widely on a state-by-state basis in the United States.  Since Emory students and affiliates come from rather geographically diverse places, most have very different accolades measuring their musical ability, and there is a lack of standardization.


Unfortunately, one limitation of doing my study with the sample of participants available here at Emory is that there is no way to numerically compare the abilities of different musicians.  Because of this, my mentor and I decided first to recruit only music majors and minors.  Then we decided to broaden the scope to include not only music majors and minors but also individuals in the ensembles that music performance majors are often either required or strongly encouraged to participate in (i.e. Emory Symphony Orchestra and Concert Choir).  Then, when I was still having trouble recruiting enough musicians to participate in my study, we decided to include members of the University Chorus who were affiliated with Emory, since it includes some music majors and people who are currently practicing and performing a high level of music regularly.  Since I am a former member of the University Chorus and am a musician, I have been able to get the word out about my study to people who fulfill the needed categories for musicians to participate.  I am hoping to test more participants soon.


I ran into another issue when I realized that I had overlooked the possibility that participants may have hearing impairments.  Now, I always screen participants by asking both about their musical background and whether or not they have any hearing impairments before I determine their eligibility for my study.


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese