Skip to main content

Leaps and Bounds in my Research Goals: The Georgia Clinical and Translational Science Conference

Ngozi Nwabueze is a senior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Georgia Clinical and Translational Science Conference.



I had an amazing experience at the 2ndannual Georgia Clinical and Translational Science (CTAS) Conference. My work with Dr. Srikant Rangaraju (check out our lab website here) has been my greatest lab experience in undergrad in terms of gaining independence. I started at the lab in the summer before my senior year at Emory, after having been in two labs on campus beforehand and one lab back home in Louisiana. My goal was simple: to present a poster of my work. It didn’t matter where or how to me, as long as I gained enough independence to do this. Through the Rangaraju Lab, I have presented at several conferences and symposiums, and was even featured in a short talk at one conference. It’s great to be able to surpass my research goals, and the CTAS conference was my chance to highlight this accomplishment once more. 

Perhaps that most rewarding part of attending the conference: I was able to truly explore my interest in clinical and translational research for the first time. All of the talks, posters, and conversations at the conference that centered around clinical and translational science were of such immense interest to me—it surprised me to field a place in research where I felt that my mind fit so naturally. Coming from a background in the basic sciences, I never quite connected with topics like I felt I should have. I didn’t know how deeply my interests lie in clinical and translational research. This conference gave me the confidence to KNOW that this is something I want to pursue in my medical career, and for that, I am so grateful. I was able to receive great advice on my future in healthcare from faculty at Emory, Morehouse, UGA, and other health-related careers. The trainee mentoring session at the end of the first night helped me answer questions that I didn’t even know that I had. I talked with experienced professionals about navigating the peer-review process, working with a faculty mentor, and incorporating public health into my career. In being the only undergraduate student to attend the conference, I felt as if I was getting a “leg-up” in obtaining this advice. I was able to hone my expertise and interests with experts in the field—at the very least with people who are a lot further along than me. Being in such a setting really can make one excited for what the future can hold in terms of research, healthcare, and academia. 

When it came time to present my poster, it was challenging to have to field difficult questions regarding my specific study, but at the same time helped me grow in articulating the research that I had been conducting. My study is still in the early stages of obtaining results, so I hope that by the end of the semester, I will have a more intricate display of results to discuss. Although I know that I will soon be moving on from basic sciences and into clinical research, I gained many useful skills by achieving and surpassing my research goals. I can articulate my scientific findings—which, trust me, was no easy task for me when I first started out. I know what I love and am most excited about in science, which boils down to essentially anything that can be translated into observable behavior. Admittedly, it took me awhile to find that I had this interest. Even after that, it took still longer for me to become unapologetic about this preference over the basic sciences. However, my journey in research has made me confident about my interests, and passionate about what I am doing and about what I hope to accomplish in the future. 

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese