Skip to main content

Stoas, Sanctuaries, and Sun: My Samothracian Summer

Leah Neiman is a senior majoring in Ancient Mediterranean Studies and Anthropology and Human Biology. She was awarded a Summer 2016 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research at the Sanctuary of the Great Gods in Greece under Dr. Bonna Wescoat.


The stoa is marked by a red arrow in a plan of the sanctuary (left)
and a reconstructed view from the northwest (right).

This summer I had the incredible privilege of working as part of a research team in the Sanctuary of the Great Gods (SGG) on the island of Samothrace, Greece. I spent the majority of my energy working on the stoa. Stoa’s are common in ancient Greek sanctuaries; they were communal spaces used for gathering, shelter, cooking, and could have a variety of other functions. The stoa in the Sanctuary of the Great Gods sits atop the western hill of the sanctuary on an artificially constructed terrace. After their excavation in the mid 20th century, the architectural blocks were moved in to block fields surrounding the foundations of the building. Our goal was to re-identify as many of 2,400 blocks entered in the database in the field using dimensions recorded by the excavators and maps of the block fields created in 1991. Once we identified the blocks we determined the type of rock each is composed of through visual inspection, examining the texture, and observing the speed of reaction with hydrochloric acid. We found that most of the highly-worked blocks with carved details are made of a finer dolomitic limestone than most of the regular wall blocks. I really enjoyed this project because I was able to spend large amounts of time examining architectural blocks, which has led me to a better understanding of the Doric and Ionic orders, I also had the privilege to learn a little about geology from Dr. Bill Size. Most importantly, I developed an appreciation for the immense amount of work and time that goes into archaeological fieldwork.




Block fields west of the stoa.

While I mainly focused on the stoa, I also spent a significant portion of time continuing my research in the Nike Precinct. Specifically, I spent a lot of time doing the photogrammetry of the plaster lion head fragments I worked on in the spring. Photogrammetry is the process of using photographs to create a digital three-dimensional model. I took hundreds of photographs of each lion head fragment from every angle that I possibly could and then ran them through a computer software called Agisoft Photoscan. While the steps seem simple, I quickly discovered the amount of patience required to do photogrammetry. I once ran a model for two days that turned out to be completely mangled and unusable.


Pottery recovered in surfact survey: phiale.

I thoroughly enjoyed having the opportunity to handle and examine these fragments in person. With the guidance of an NYU graduate student, we found new evidence of color under the microscope, and completely delegitimized my theory concerning how the lion head connected to the building. Even though I proved and argument wrong that I had spent so long formulating, it was satisfying to feel that we were still making progress. We are developing a better understanding of the fragments, which is the principle aim of research. 


Pottery recovered in surfact survey: small vessel fragments.

I also had the opportunity to dabble in other archaeological work such as surface survey and the cleaning of buildings. The surface collection was especially exciting for me because we recovered a significant amount of pottery. My favorite things that I found are a rather large partial base of a phiale (offering dish) and a beautifully delicate handle to a small vessel. Cleaning the monuments was not quite as exciting, but was still a valuable experience, and I got to hone my excavation techniques such as the “vigorous sweep,” which I was informed was all about wrist action. As pictured below, our “dig dog” Leon even wanted to help out with sweeping.


The walk to work at 7am.

Living on Samothrace
Living on the island was an amazing experience. We lived in a very small hotel that is a seven-minute walking distance from the site. We walked to and from work in the morning (7am-noon) and the afternoon (2:30-5:30). We worked six days a week, with Sundays off. We mostly used Sundays to explore the island – hiking up to waterfalls, taking a boat trip around the island, walking around the towns of Θερμα and Χωρα. One of my favorite Sunday adventures was hiking up to an open air sanctuary on the south side of the island at which the “Great Mother” was worshipped in antiquity. There is a natural spring coming out of the rock and a steep slope littered with ancient pottery. Our guide (a local goat herd who also works as a guard at the SGG) collected some fascinating sherds, which we examined and brought back to the museum. They were quite beautiful, some even bore inscriptions, and one had the bust of a woman in relief. Through this experience I have found that I am unequivocally enthralled by archaeology, and have affirmed my intent to pursue it.


A picture from the truck ride to Kerasouda.

A picture of some team members and I dancing at a festival in Χωρα.

In addition to the work I thoroughly enjoyed the people that I got to know and learn from this summer. To be completely surrounded by people who are so passionate and knowledgeable about the field and work that I was experience was completely incredible. I cannot imagine a more productive or rewarding way to have spent my time this summer.

And now, because no discussion of this summer on Samothrace would be complete without a mention of our dig dog, Leon, I have included my five favorite, of the countless, photos of him.


    

    


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese