Skip to main content

Reflections from Uganda


From May 20 to July 27, 2015 I was in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda (QENP) studying its wildlife and ecology. Through those ten weeks I gained knowledge, experience, and memories I will carry with me through my academic and professional careers.
The journey started in September 2014 when my Emory advisor, Dr. Thomas Gillespie, introduced me to one of his top collaborators and friends Dr. Innocent Rwego at One Health Central and Eastern Africa (OHCEA). He suggested the possibility of a collaborative research experience. I was particularly interested in this opportunity because I have always wanted to do research in a Sub-Saharan country and I also believe One Health studies are new and invaluable to the scientific community. So soon thereafter, I applied for Emory’s International Research Experience for Science Students (IRES) fellowship and was awarded the research grant a few months later.

In Uganda, I joined Makerere University’s masters student Erick Bigala Kigai who was interested in the wild rodents associated with QENP and their role in the transmission of a group of bacteria called Leptospira. This bacterium is known to cause a disease called leptospirosis in humans (Plank and Dean 2000). Rodents are one of the major reservoirs for the bacterium, and transmission from rodents to livestock or humans is possible and quite simple (de Faria et al. 2008). Often times, humans contract Leptospira after a rodent urinates on a food or water source. Livestock can also contract the disease after eating grass a rodent has contaminated. Rodents are commonly found near human communities, so Erick and I set rodent traps in different areas with close QENP-community interface.Through my conversations and collaborations with Erick, the OHCEA staff, professors, and local community members, I learned much more than I ever expected to gain in just seventy days. One of most abundantly clear lessons I learned from my trip was fieldwork’s unpredictable nature. Travel logistics can unexpectedly change, budgets can drastically shift, and a study can take a new direction all in a matter of hours. At Kahendero, despite our strategic and well-thought-out planning, the first few days of collecting were unfruitful. Erick and I decided to completely change our trap design, and we relocated all 50 traps in new locations around the park and community. At Kataara, our trap lines were very productive. We caught significantly more rodents there than at the first location – we did not expect this. Due to the lack of consistency between field sites, we began to run out of formalin, which we used to preserve the specimens for speciation and future studies. Without this important chemical, we would have to stop our work until we found some. And this scenario almost was a reality, until Erick thought to visit a local secondary school that was able to provide a small amount of formalin that lasted us a few days until we acquired more. These situations were new and foreign to me, and now that I have had this experience, I can use the knowledge I gained and apply it to my research and studies at Emory
OHCEA Research Assistant Benjamin and I interviewing a woman from the pastoral community of Hima about modern family planning method
My abroad experience was so important. I learned how you should never plan too far ahead in field research. Just as things get rolling, a large curve ball could throw your whole study off and delay you, in my case it was sometimes two weeks. As a result of a few delays, I did not end up completing what I intended to. I planned to trap rodents and perform PCR to detect Leptospirathis however, was not accomplished. Now, Erick and his team of dedicated research assistants will perform the molecular analysis to screen for Leptospira. While I was a little disappointed to not be with Erick to help him learn the molecular analysis, I am still very fortunate to gain many invaluable field work skills from Erick.
The sun setting on the Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda as we head home after a successful safari day

I am extremely thankful for Emory’s IRES Fellowship, OHCEA, and people I’ve met and worked with along the way. I had the most incredible experience of my life and I will carry so many memories, skills, and lessons through the rest of my life. The trip made me think about my future regarding schooling. It reaffirmed my decision to pursue veterinary medicine, but my time in Uganda opened the doors to what part of vet med I want to follow. I’m looking forward to seeing what my future holds!
-Leo Ragazzo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese