Skip to main content

Why Research Wednesday: David Kim

 

My name is David Kim and I am a senior at Emory University majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology on the pre-medical track. My research interest lies within the field of neuroscience where I am currently working with Dr. Jill Ward and her team to investigate translatable therapeutic targets that can enhance axonal regeneration and improve neural repair. Specifically, I am working with Dr. Ward's team to investigate plasticity within the sympathetic nervous system and skeletal muscle metabolic health after neural injury. My previous research project included observing motor axon regeneration after peripheral nerve injuries in which I worked under Dr. Arthur English and successfully released a publication this summer. 

My first research experience was in Dr. Arthur English’s lab in which I worked last year. The most memorable moment in my research journey was when I received my very first interview to start as an undergraduate researcher for Dr. Arthur English. After many rejections and no responses from various research laboratories, professors, and centers throughout my sophomore year, the possibility of getting into a research lab appeared slim. Although I had gone through countless links, various recruitment flyers, and endless departmental emails, every application sent always seemed to lead to a dead end. However, after receiving Dr. English’s invitation for an interview, I felt like I was truly blessed. After the interview, I was given the opportunity to work and assist in his research, and I was able to learn so much from Dr. English and his team. To this day, I am forever grateful for him providing the introduction to my research career and giving me countless guidance throughout my research journey. 

 

 
As a child, I was always interested in how things work. Whether it be simple toys or complex mechanisms, I have always been fascinated with how things work and how things in the world function. With a passion for learning and the motivation to seek knowledge, my drive to discover more about the unknown led me to look for a research lab during my sophomore year. After hours of browsing through Emory's departmental websites, I was led to Dr. Arthur English's lab and was instantly entranced with the idea of evaluating novel strategies to promote neuronal regeneration. After being interviewed and following Dr. English's research for a while, I was able to thoroughly enjoy my time in his lab and decided to continue pursuing my current research topic under a new PI, Dr. Jill Ward, even after Dr. English's retirement. 

Being involved in research allows one to not only expand their knowledge in a particular field, but it also challenges individuals to find their strengths and weaknesses and find ways to solve problems in their day-to-day life. My most difficult time as an undergraduate researcher was during my exam periods. Enthusiastic about my research projects, yet also held accountable for my academic performance, maintaining a healthy balance between social life, academics, and research had been a difficult task for me as an undergraduate researcher. However, through this difficult time, I was able to learn the importance of effective communication with my research mentor and with those around me. Being able to communicate with my research mentor consistently and effectively throughout the semester allowed me to manage and juggle the various responsibilities I had. With the help of my mentor and various other people, I was able to not only finish my research project, but I was also able to ace my exams with little difficulty. Overall, I believe that research has been crucial to both my academic and personal success as it helped me grow more as an individual and allowed me to play to my own strengths and weaknesses both in and out of the lab. 

My current goal is to continue working under Dr. Ward and her team to release more publications regarding axonal regeneration, particularly regarding the sympathetic nervous system and skeletal muscle's metabolic health. Through research, I hope to learn and grow more as an individual and make countless more memorable moments while in Dr. Ward's lab. My goals for the future include getting into medical school and eventually becoming a neurosurgeon. With the knowledge and skills I accumulate through my involvement in research, I hope to become a more knowledgeable and capable surgeon who can assist individuals whether they be novel or traditional cases. 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese