Skip to main content

Physics Research: A Practical Remedy for Seemingly Listless Theory

Joseph Piccolo is a Senior majoring in Physics. He was awarded a Summer 2019 Conference Grant which he used to attend the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR)

.

I work with the Emory Physics Department as an undergraduate researcher. My principal investigator, Dr. Laura Finzi, specializes in biophysics. Biophysics is the study of biological systems, such as a strand of DNA, using physics approaches. In the Finzi lab, we study the mechanics of DNA and epigenetic gene regulation. One way we study these topics is through the use of magnetic tweezers. In these studies, we attach a microscopic magnet to a single strand of DNA and exert forces on it using a macroscopic magnet we control in the lab. Additionally, we measure how the DNA responds to these forces. Traditionally, magnetic tweezers have been bar magnets mounted on the data collection microscope. The bar magnet is moved around the sample by mechanical motors, allowing us to generate forces on the DNA. Due to this setup, the movement of the motors decreases our measurement precision. To combat this problem, the Finzi Lab is developing a new set of magnetic tweezers with no moving parts. This new system, known as electromagnetic tweezers, uses wires wrapped in coils and a circuit board to interact with the small magnets we attach to DNA. The electromagnetic tweezer development has been my primary project for 2 years.



As a freshman, I had difficulty seeing the bigger picture of what I was studying. During my first year, I was taught introductory concepts like Newton’s laws of motion and basic circuitry. I struggled to understand how the topics were applicable to what I could do in real life. Why is the free-body diagram of a pendulum important? Why would Ohm’s law ever be relevant in my life? My physics professor at Oxford, Dr. Seitaridou, recommended that I should get involved with research. Using her guidance, I sent blind-emails to some faculty members at the Atlanta campus hoping to get my foot in the door.  Fortunately, Dr. Finzi responded and offered me a position to work in her lab that summer. That summer I began my ongoing electromagnet project. I worked on the project and returned to Oxford that fall.
The following summer of 2018, I was awarded a SURE grant to stay in Atlanta and pursue full-time research with my project. The SURE program allowed me to focus on developing my skills as a contributing member in the lab. Working as a full-time researcher, I adopted a different outlook on my studies. I learned that I could leverage my then-introductory knowledge in physics to reach concepts that I had once thought were far beyond my grasp. There I learned that our DNA systems could be modeled as pendulums, and that free-body diagrams are foundational to the theory behind our discoveries. I learned that Ohm’s law could be applied to help us create the circuitry for the new instruments we were creating. With my reach greatly expanded, I gained a tremendous sense of ownership of what I was being taught in the classroom. Research converted my completely theoretical knowledge into functional tools for discovery. 

I also learned that failure is an inevitable part of the research process. During SURE, one of my missions was to create a circuit for the new electromagnet. After weeks of designing the circuit on the computer, deciding on electrical parts, and perfecting the construction techniques, I built my first prototype. The circuit was the product of weeks of fine tuning and engineering and was ready to be tested. When I plugged the circuit into the wall, the entire thing literallyexploded in my face. Electrical components on the board were smoking, the smell of burning plastic filled the lab, and the fruits of my labor were destroyed in the blink of an eye. I was forced to go back to the drawing board and design a better version. After a few iterations and many more weeks, I achieved my goal of creating a functioning magnetic tweezer. The system worked after I tried over and over again that summer, proving that persistence is the key to success.

Collaborating with the Finzi Lab also allowed me to give presentations about my work at research conferences. Recently, I presented at the National Conference for Undergraduate Research hosted by Kennesaw State University. I loved sharing my discoveries with like-minded undergraduates. The intersection between electronics development and biological research is a niche community that I rarely can interact with. Research programs like NCUR provide a space for students like me to celebrate our hard work and common interests. 

Research has been and continues to be an extremely rewarding aspect of my Emory experience. I hope to maintain my momentum with the Finzi lab and plan on completing my honors thesis in physics during my upcoming senior year.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese