Skip to main content

“I refuse to call it integration” – A Different Legacy of Brown v. Board

Liza Cobey is a Junior double majoring in American studies and Media Studies . She was awarded a  Summer 2019 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on the history associated with the desegregation of schools in the U.S. under Dr. Vanessa Siddle Walker. 

For generations, the women in my family have taught. My grandmother taught at the high school I attended decades before I was born, and my aunts, a cousin, and my mother all call their schools their second home. I grew up in a perpetual extended family tied together by bus routes and classrooms. I had no intention of following their path when I came to Emory. Despite this, by the second semester of my freshman year, I had connected with one of the few remaining professors from Emory’s Department of Education, and by the fall I was enamored with her work.



It has been Dr. Vanessa Siddle Walker who inspired my work and who continues to support my research. Her work presented to me a counternarrative, one of many which I sought to oppose the Eurocentric, patriarchal lessons of my K-12 education. Dr. Siddle Walker’s work defies the common narrative of segregated Black schools as being institutions of lower quality than their white counterparts. While it is true that Black schools were underfunded, relegated to second class buildings and denied critical public support, the idea that Black teachers were less qualified is simply racist fiction. Black teachers often held more advanced degrees then white ones, and Black schools were bolstered by communities and administrators that cared deeply about their students, supporting the whole child, both in and outside school (Siddle Walker 1996). After desegregation, much of this community was lost, as Black teachers and administrators were fired, and Black students put under the tutelage of teachers who neither understood them nor cared about their success. It was beginning to understand these complexities that led me to the research I undertook this summer.

My hometown, Fredericksburg, Virginia, has a small school system with which I am intimately familiar. The city is small enough that all its residents attend the same schools – one elementary, one upper elementary, one middle, and one high. I went from kindergarten to twelfth grade there, as did my father, who was a part of the first desegregated first grade class, and my grandmother taught biology in the ‘70s at the high school where my mother currently works. Because of these connections, I knew bits and pieces of the schools systems history – the story of the segregated Black school, supported by the community before the city would fund it; Virginia’s history of Massive Resistance and the fact that Fredericksburg’s schools were still segregated for almost 15 years after Brown v. Board, until 1968. The remnants of segregation are also clear throughout our community – the buildings which used to be all-white elementary schools, one now the public library and one an apartment complex, and the former all-Black middle school, quite literally on the other side of the train tracks from the others, which now houses our Head Start and alternative school programs. Recalling these memories and intrigued by how my school’s history would hold up in light of new perspectives, I went online to find a more comprehensive story of Fredericksburg’s segregation. Online, there was nothing more than bits and pieces, the same facts that had been passed down to me. Searches of libraries and books turned up more of the same.

This is where my journey to independent research started – a search for the documentation of a history that seemed troublingly absent. I knew the stories existed – held in newspapers, in court records, and most importantly by community elders, but they didn’t seem to have been collected in one place. Especially concerning was the fact that many of the teachers and administrators who are fundamental to this history are entering their 80s and 90s, and the loss of these figures might mean the loss of their stories forever. With this sense of urgency in mind, I returned home.

Fredericksburg is known as a historic city and its involvement in the Civil War is well documented, however, its African American history, particularly in regard to education, has often been overlooked. There is no comprehensive written history of Black education or desegregation in the city, so I looked to the newspaper archives. Both the city paper, the Free Lance Star, and Norfolk and Baltimore’s African-American papers covered the city’s desegregation in depth. While collecting these articles created a valuable timeline of events and revealed methods of organization and policy, the reporting failed to answer questions surrounding racism, memory, and community. For these, I turned to those who came before me; the men and women who were present for the days of “separate but equal” and who lived through the upheaval that was desegregation. 

            From these educators, I learned more than anywhere else. Teachers spoke of the innovative methods they used to help students learn despite lack of funding and physical resources, the ways that parents and teachers came together to petition the city for change, and the ways that they subtly carried their practices and activism on after desegregation had occurred. They spoke without question of the enormous value of Black schools and Black teachers, and outright rejected the traditional narratives of desegregation. I use the word “desegregation” and not “integration” because of a lesson taught to me by a woman who worked through the closure of her Black school and remained a renowned teacher through her over 50 year career. “I refuse to call it integration,” she said, “because it has never been equal.”

            This research is only the beginning of this project. I hope to make my findings accessible to my community, and share a piece of history that has remained a side-note for too long.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese