Skip to main content

Whistler While You Work



Julia Gensheimer is a senior double majoring in Biology and Chemistry. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Keystone Symposia: Cancer Immunotherapy: Mechanistic Insights to Improve Clinical Benefits.

As a freshman at Emory, I was eager to join a lab studying cancer immunotherapy. I read research descriptions on faculty websites and contacted principal investigators to express my enthusiasm for joining their lab. Rafi Ahmed, a world-renowned immunologist, replied within minutes. After learning of his legacy, I arrived at the meeting prepared for an intense interview. Instead, I was met with a smile as he simply asked me when I wanted to start!



What distinguishes immunotherapy from other targeted therapies is the manipulation of immune cells to restore their native disease-fighting abilities. CD8+, or cytotoxic, T cells are key players in this treatment. CD8+T cells are immune cells that patrol the body in search of infected cells. In chronic viral infections and cancers, these cells often become overstimulated and enter an ‘exhausted’ state, marked by the expression of surface proteins like PD-1 and loss of their cytotoxic capabilities. These cells are losing their superpowers. To restore their disease-fighting capabilities, antibodies known as immune checkpoint inhibitorsblock these proteins. This novel approach to cancer immunotherapy was recently recognized in the 2018 Nobel Prizefor Physiology or Medicine. Despite the success of checkpoint blockade, not all tumor types or patients respond to this therapy, which inspires the search for other immunotherapy targets on the surface of CD8+T cells. This is the goal of my project in the Ahmed lab. 
Since my first email to Rafi Ahmed in 2016, I have had the privilege of working with and learning from expert scientists daily, both during the semester and over the summer thanks to SURE. I have also been able to present my project at local (and now, international!) conferences and even publish a paperin a prestigious journal. It is most rewarding to know that I am contributing to initiatives that have the potential to benefit patients receiving cancer immunotherapies. 
As if my time in the Ahmed lab could not get any better, I learned of a Keystone Symposia conferenceon cancer immunotherapy in Whistler, British Columbia that was scheduled during Emory’s spring break. I thought, what better way to spend my spring break?I checked the speaker line-up as if I was going to a music festival and saw cancer immunotherapy experts that I had admired for years, including Carl June, Crystal Mackall, Phil Greenberg, Jim Allison, and Mike Jensen. With the support of my lab and Emory Undergraduate Research Programs (URP), I presented my project to experts, learned of the diverse number of strategies to design and improve cancer immunotherapies, met scientists at all levels of training, and left even more confident in my decision to pursue a career as a physician scientist.
Now a senior at Emory, I look back on my time on campus fondly. Thanks to the generosity of my research mentors and the support of URP, I was able to learn and grow as a scientist.These experiences have reaffirmed my passion for cancer immunotherapy and medicine and I will continue this journey in a Medical Scientist Training Program(MSTP) this fall to earn an MD and PhD. 

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 

Comments

  1. Hello everyone! I don't just know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for herpes, I have been suffering from herpes since six years with my wife but today I am happy that I have been cured from it with the herbal medicine made by Dr abaka the great healer, I was browsing the internet searching for help when I came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr abaka cure Him from Herpes Virus. I quickly contacted him to get the cure and today me and my wife are now totally free from the virus, I am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there,please sir keep your good work cause there are many out there who is in need of your healing medicine. Contact him now on his email: drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com or text or call him on +(234) 9063230051

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto’s thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with his medicine, i collected his contact and explain my situation to him he prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe by him. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2017. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2019, thank you sir , this is his email contact if you require his help babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy today with my family. My name is rose sarah living in USA, My husband left me for a good 3 years now, and i love him so much, i have been looking for a way to get him back since then. i have tried many options but he did not come back, until i met a friend that darted me to Dr.Moses a spell caster, who helped me to bring back my husband after 2 weeks. Me and my husband are living happily together today, That man is great, you can contact him Now i will advice any serious persons that found themselves in this kind of problem to contact him now a fast solution without stress.. He always hello, now i call him my father. Contact him now he is always online Drmosesspellcaster@gmail.com email or contact him on his WhatsApp mobile line +2348033690591

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a great herbal man called Dr voodoo who can cure Hepatitis B virus and other deadly diseases with the use of natural herbs to cure Hepatitis B virus problems. He is from Africa and he is a great doctor and he can also cure you as well if you are have the problem And other deadly disease and here is email address voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348140120719 HERPES CURE,CANCER CURE,HIV/AIDS CURE,HPV CURE

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese