Skip to main content

Research Profile - Zoe Robbin


Zoe is an Emory senior from Fairfield Connecticut who studies Quantitative Sciences and Arabic. She was the Emory Global Health Institute Field Scholar in 2018 and traveled to Jordan to conduct research on sexual harassment in partnership with the Information and Research Center of the King Hussein Foundation. She worked on a study that seeks to assess the prevalence and develop a primary prevention intervention against sexual harassment at the University of Jordan. A professor from the Rollins School of Public Health is leading this study in partnership with the research team at the King Hussein Foundation. She is continuing her research on sexual harassment in at the University of Jordan through her senior honors thesis. Her argument is that gender-roles in Jordan carryover from tribal institutions into institutions of higher education. She is establishing this link through Sex-role Spillover theory. Zoe’s thesis will also include an epistemological discussion about Orientalism within Women’s Studies and Political Science, which has led scholars on both sides of the spectrum to misinterpret the power of tribalism. When asked about any significant moments through her research, Zoe said, “I was feeling frustrated as I searched the library and the internet for scholarly literature about women’s roles within modern Jordanian tribes. Each article I found left me wanting a more in-depth and politically-removed analysis. In the midst of my frustration, I looked up from my laptop, quietly laughing as I realized that I had found my role in the literature. Suddenly, my thesis was not an academic exercise or a resume item, but instead a meaningful contribution to the field. This night in the library has become my favorite moment in my research process.” Zoe also has two publications: 
(2018) “A Systematic Review of the Current Status of Safer Conception Strategies for HIV           Affected Heterosexual Couples in Sub-Saharan Africa.” J AIDS Behav.
(2018) “Bridging the Gap from Policy to Practice: Diabetes in Rural Morocco.” SIT Digital            Collections.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese