Skip to main content

The Joy Beneath the Rough (Soil)

Kino Maravillas is a senior who is majoring in Biology. He was awarded a Fall 2018 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on the Milpa soil microbiome under Dr. Nicole Gerardo


The philosophy of scientific research is something I’ve always embodied but could never fully express until I entered Emory. Curiosity, gaining an understanding of the complex, interdependent systems that drive our world, has always driven me to read that extra chapter, linger on that leaf blade in the distance for just a few more minutes, and ponder on that lofty thought that you know will eventually lead somewhere solid. This curiosity was always in the back of my mind; coming into Emory, I applied to the Scholarly Inquiry and Research (SIRE)program knowing I would finally get to apply this with a lab coat donned. Through my freshman and junior years I’ve been exposed to the grit of day-to-day research, from painstakingly formatting data figures to public speaking at the annual Emory undergraduate symposiums



Under the supervision of Dr. Nicole Gerardo and the mentorship of postdoc (now professor) Erika Diaz-Almeyda, I began my own project on October 2018: The Influence of Multicropping on the Milpa Soil MicrobiomeMilpa is an agricultural system in which corn, bean, and squash are cultivated together as a multicrop. It is also commonly referred to its Iroquois label – the “three sisters.”Compared to a monocrop system where each plant is cultivated on its own, a multicrop results in greater plant yield, soil health, and heightened resistance towards pests and pathogens. Milpa has been utilized by the indigenous population of Central America for millennia due to its consistent abundant harvests; today it remains a cornerstone of the region’s tradition, diet, and economic growth. Yet how do microbes, the microscopic creatures inhabiting the Earth in millions, play a role in the synergistic growth of corn, bean, and squash? What bacterial phyla constitute the invisible community that, if eliminated, would potentially disrupt the livelihood of millions of citizens in the Americas?My investigation aims to reveal whether multicropping is a significant factor in altering the structure and/or composition of the soil microbial community, or microbiome, in the milpa agricultural system. 
This project, made possible by an independent research grant, integrates the bench skills, conscientious note-taking and commenting, as well as the communication efforts required of report writing and poster presenting that I’ve learned in my time at the Gerardo Lab. Dealing with meticulous volumes in DNA extraction, ensuring proper quantity and quality of the product for genomic sequencing, and being acquainted with the foundations of bioinformatics software are milestones in the project pipeline. Each benchmark must be fulfilled in order to reach a scientific conclusion, to answer the question I initially proposed. However (as I write this), this project is far from finished. Troubleshooting reared its head as my extractions were not up to par. My mentor and I labored over what centrifugation step to lengthen, what extra volume of reagent to add. As I pause and reflect on my research journey that began freshman year, there are certain attitudes that distilled themselves not only in my undergraduate studies, but also in my larger outlook on life. 
Specificity, unpredictability, and tenacity. These are the lessons that research has lectured me on, the takeaways that have molded my character and will continue to do so this semester. The findings that anchor my investigation would not be possible without the rigor imposed by the scientific method, the meticulous note taking of researchers and fact checking of the peer review process. As specific and sound as a proposal might be, life’s unpredictability will manifest itself as troubleshooting, contamination, or even loss of data. Nothing will go according to the bullet by bullet plan. When everything seems to go wrong, tenacity will pull you through.Replicate steps, modify protocols, spend an extra hour or two in the lab just to get it right. Failure has been the most important teacher of my college career, and sheer diligence the greatest lesson I’ve learned from it. It’s essential to befriend that inner critic and turn it into a supportive coach. I’ve realized that failure is less of an enemy, but more the lifeblood of scientific inquiry; it is the driving force that eventually leads you to the joy of discovery.Curiosity attracted me to research, but it is the resilience required that research at Emory leaves me with. 
Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

  1. AN AMAZING REMEDY FOR HSV 1 & 2. It's so unbelievable how wonderful herbs can be. when I first saw a post that said that a man have a perfect cure for HSV 1&2, i was like could this be real or some kind of scam but due to my eagerness to be cured I took the risk of contacting him, he gave me reasons to believe he is a real herbalist so I followed all his instructions on how to take the drugs for 14 days and now all my test results shows HSV 1&2 (-) negative , Dr Aba have the most safe cure for herpes and other stubborn virus which are HSV 1&2,STI,STD just name it he has the cure for them all. Contact him via his personal email address which is dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com . Trust me you will like this method, it's safe, cheap and easy. Do well to let others know about this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese