Skip to main content

Drug Metabolism and Communication


Eungjae (NJ) Kim is a senior who majoring in Biology. He was awarded a Summer 2018 Independent Grant which he used to conduct research on human metabolic pathways under Dr. Brent Morgan



Dear future researcher:


My research investigates the pharmacokinetic mechanism of a drug metabolite in human metabolic pathways. I am examining the cross-reactivity between lidocaine and cocaine metabolites filtered through the excretory system. My interest in the research experience stemmed from the classes and labs I took at the college. In laboratory courses, I was given directions to follow. After sufficient practice and experience, I had more ambition to create my own study and protocol to see if I could execute the action items in a larger group setting.


I am also a varsity student-athlete. I selected a research position that allowed me to create my own study, and consequently, put myself in a research coordinator position. This was important due to the time management I would have to face during my varsity season. I play for a Varsity sport along with few other obligations, so it is difficult to allocate time to my research during the academic semester. Once the study was approved and sample collection had begun, my PI and I assembled a team. Each subgroup was designed to help delegate our time and resources, whether contributing to lab equipment for running assays or helping with the sample collection so that we had 24/7 coverage screening for potential subjects. In theprocess of putting together a research team, I didn’t expect my Principal Investigator to be very understanding and helpful when I needed to adjust the research protocol and my schedule. I recognized the importance of clear communication between me and PI, as well as my collaborators. With clear communication, we were able to coordinate the project together feasibly. Additionally, as the research coordinator, I was able to adjust the logistics of the research to ensure continuity of the study even though I was not able to commit hours on certain weeks. This flexibility allowed me to make progress in my research while being able to commit to my varsity sport and other extracurriculars, and of course, a social life. As a varsity student-athlete with commitments to various organizations, I wouldn’t have been able to do research during the semester had I joined a wet lab where my work designated specifically for me. Simply, there would not be enough hours in the day. Again, due to my clear communication and inquiring for resources with my PI & collaborators, I was able to put together a working schedule for all involved parties.

Through this experience, I have recognized and acquired qualities that a scientific researcher requires: consistency, diligence, patience, teamwork, and ability to lead a group by establishing clarity and executing each constructed strategic plan. In such a study with many mobile parts, it is vital to make sure each member was executing his or her role for the team. I learned this the hard way. Such malleable, dynamic experiment introduces a high probabilityfor miscue. Grady Hospital’s ASSET team screened subjects and collected urine samples. There was miscommunication in the relay between ASSET’s coordinator to his members; therefore, three weeks’ worth of specimen collection was discarded. To prevent future mistakes, we established a listserv in order to provide direct communication between me and ASSET members, and I physically met with each member to discuss our game plan on days of enrollment.

The theme of my research experience is communication. Always inquire and there are resources always available!

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

  1. It is really a nice post and the points you made on the topic drug metabolism and communication are really impressive. I hope you will keep sharing. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese