Skip to main content

A Student’s Road to Presenting in Wisconsin


Sierra Stubbs is a rising senior majoring in Human Health. She was awarded a Summer 2018 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Agriculture, Food, Human Values, and Society Conference.

For the last year, I have had the opportunity to assist Dr. Reznickova with her research on the participation and/or exclusion of low income people in farmers’ markets around Atlanta. I took a class with Dr. Reznickova, and because I loved the class I frequently went to her office hours. The topic of research came up, and when I told her I was interested in learning how to conduct research, she told me about her study. I am so glad that she offered me the opportunity to assist her with this research, as this study is very unique and important. During our literature review, we found that many studies about farmers’ markets, the local food movement, and low income participation typically implied that low income people feel excluded from alternative food spaces, or do not want to attend farmers’ markets due to the typical crowd of white, affluent customers. However, many of these studies do not speak with people experiencing low income status before making these generalizations. So, we sought to change this by talking to low income people who do and do not attend farmers’ markets about their motivations, barriers, feelings, and experiences.

When I first got started, I did not expect to be as heavily involved as Dr. Reznickova allowed me to be. She let me, along with the other research assistant, conduct many of the interviews. Additionally, we were very involved in the transcription and coding of the data as well as the creation of the poster for the final conference presentation; all of these tasks were challenging but I am glad to have those skills under my belt now. We got to make charts, demographic maps, and I certainly learned a lot about using Excel to analyze demographic data. My favorite part about this research experience was getting to conduct so many interviews; I loved talking to lots of different and interesting people about their lives and experiences. No two people that we spoke with were even close to similar, and I will greatly miss waking up early on beautiful fall weekends to go to different farmers’ markets. After finishing up our interviews, we realized that the people we were interviewing greatly valued the community they experienced at farmers’ markets and none of the participants felt excluded. We also found that of the participants who did not go to markets, many of them valued eating healthy, fresh, and local, and just did not know about the market’s existence or have transportation to get there.


Getting to share our findings at the Agriculture, Food, Human Values and Society Conference in Madison, Wisconsin was such a wonderful experience. Not only was this conference attended by scholars whose research I have read in class, but I had the privilege of being the one who presented our work to them. Countless scholars came and spoke with me about our research and findings, with many saying they wanted to replicate the study in their cities. While it was nerve-racking, I am so incredibly grateful that I had the opportunity to present this research at such an amazing and interesting conference surrounded by the celebrities in this field of agriculture and food studies.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese