Skip to main content

Pay Attention - Or Not?



Marissa Russell is a senior majoring in Linguistics and Spanish. She was awarded a Spring 2018 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on attention under Dr. Lynne Nygaard. 

When I first pursued undergraduate research at Emory, I was unsure what to expect. I knew I had a strong interest in language and was intrigued by the research process, but I questioned how much meaningful experience I could gain (and how much I could truly contribute) as a junior in college. Now, looking back over the past two years in the Speech and Language Perception Lab, I can confidently say that research has been the most significant and rewarding aspect of my academic career.


My current project, investigating whether attention modulates the perceptual learning of accented speech, is particularly meaningful because I was able to be involved in the research process from the ground up. With the support of an Independent Grant, I have moved from conceptualizing a research question, to analyzing and interpreting data, and will ultimately disseminate the findings to a broader scientific community. Even while writing this, I had to take a step back and pause–because how AWESOME is that? I never would have expected to have such an active role in the research process and to learn so much from it.

Working in Dr. Nygaard’s lab has challenged my critical thinking skills in a way that affects how I approach pretty much everything. I’ve gotten used to the eye-rolls and laughs of my friends and family when I respond to a seemingly unrelated topic with “You know what? That would be an interesting research question. I wonder if…” for the umpteenth time. It’s hard to blame me, though, when I’m in a lab surrounded by a PI, graduate students, postdocs, and undergraduates who think the same way. This would be immediately apparent upon sitting in on any given lab meeting, in which presentations and paper discussions are met with a flurry of thoughtful questions and reflections. Admittedly, I started out as a timid observer when I first joined the lab. This quickly changed, though, because the energy, intellect, and support of my mentors are infectious.


These skills come in handy when challenges arise (because let’s face it, they’re inevitable). An example of this is when pilot data in our current project contradicted our hypothesis. In the study, participants heard English sentences spoken by Spanish-accented talkers. During training, they had their attention diverted from linguistically relevant aspects of the speech stream to varying extents depending on the condition they were in. They were then tested on novel sentences and speakers. We expected test performance to vary based on the differing attention levels in the conditions, but performance was pretty similar across conditions. 


It’s easy to be frustrated when, even after all of our literature reviews, deliberations, and work, our findings did not align with our hypothesis. However, I never felt that way. In a meeting with my PI and research supervisor, we immediately set out to determine what these findings could mean. We designed a follow-up study to make sure attention was truly diverted as intended, but recognized that even results that contradict our hypothesis have interesting implications. If attention doesn’t matter, does that mean learning is implicit?

It is rewarding to reflect on the broader impact of this research. Clarifying the relationship between attention and perceptual learning has implications for understanding perceptual processing more broadly. If it is not mandatory for explicit attention to be directed to relevant parts of the stimulus, this could open up different avenues for skill-acquisition beyond the typical practice-focused mode of instruction.

I think I will always crave the intellectual stimulation I enjoy during my time in the Speech and Language Perception Lab. My research experience has solidified my desire to continue contributing to growing knowledge in the field as I pursue my graduate studies. I am extremely grateful for the relationships I’ve cultivated and support from my mentors in the lab as well as the Independent Grant that made this experience possible.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese