Skip to main content

What To Do When Things Go Wrong


Natalia Brody is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Fall 2017 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on the relationship between estrogen and fear generalization under Dr. Brian Dias. 

The first (and most important) thing a young scientist is taught is “the hypothesis.” In middle school, we are taught that a hypothesis is a potential explanation for a scientific phenomenon. Once a little older, if you’re lucky, the abstract idea of a hypothesis comes to life as you write your own research proposals, posters, and even lectures on these “potential explanations.” But, in perhaps the most important lesson of all, you’ll eventually learn that these hypotheses change— their potential nature comes crashing down just as easily as they were created to begin with. This is an in valuable lesson my participation in the research grant program allowed me.
Last fall, my research project started a little like this:

“Our hypothesis has changed!” These words should have excited and intrigued me. Instead, I felt deflated: how could the hypothesis I’d worked so hard to understand, study, and proudly explain to friends and family be overturned so quickly? How could I be wrong? How could we be wrong?

With this new development, I had to forget a lot of what I knew. In the blink of an eye, I was learning about brain regions I had never heard of and observing new techniques I should pick up, since the ones I already knew could no longer apply. I had to forget, almost unlearn, a good chunk of our project’s initial trajectory. I swallowed my pride and powered through the frustration and confusion; I matched my negative emotions with literature searches and more trips to lab to learn new parts of the project, whether it was how to work computer software for data analysis or how to execute an ICC (immunocytochemistry experiment).

In an almost poetic turn of events, just as our hypothesis changed, my attitude eventually did too. I began to see beauty in parts of my project I hadn’t noticed the first time around, and was introduced to exciting bodies of knowledge I would never have known had my project remained unchanged. I was able to purchase supplies to continue my project using my research grant and eventually fell in love with my project all over again. I can never seem to catch the shuttle to work quickly enough, I’ll go on excited tangents about my project to anyone who will listen, and few weekends and school breaks are labeled too busy for another exciting experiment.

It is moments (and projects) like these that remind me why I have loved participating in research at Emory—it has taught me so many parts of science that a classroom never will. In lab, my mentors taught me that being a great scientist doesn’t mean having a 4.0 GPA or having the most prestigious academic awards. Instead, being a great scientist means being an amazing (sometimes messy) combination of grit, humility, versatility, and creativity. As young scientists, we are training to solve some of the greatest puzzles of our universe, and we are bound to encounter a few challenges along the way. Anyone can memorize the anatomy of a brain or make a conjecture about scientific phenomena. But what happens when you’re wrong? What happens when the rules change? As for me, I’ll know to sit tight because these moments are bittersweet: only fleetingly bitter and perpetually sweet.

Thank you to the Independent Research Grant Program funding my project and to my amazing mentors for their unwavering encouragement and support!


Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese