Skip to main content

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

Jenna Sung is a recent graduate who majored in Psychology and Education. She was awarded a Spring 2017 Independent Grant which she used to conduct research on mathematical competence in children under Dr. Stella Lourenco. 

I am a senior currently participating in the honors program in the Spatial Cognition Laboratory. My advisor is Dr. Stella Lourenco and I am currently investigating the research question: Does Mental Rotation Training Enhance Mathematical Competence in Children? Spatial ability is strongly correlated with mathematic competence and plays a crucial role in children’s education (Uttal, Miller, & Newcombe, 2013), specifically STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math). However, the causal links between space and math is largely unstudied limiting the practical implications of the relationship. The study tested whether there is a causal relation between spatial and mathematical abilities by implementing a novel online-at-home mental rotation training and then assessing the impact of training on children’s math performance. Results indicated that our training was successful and spatial training significantly enhanced mental rotation scores. However, we found no evidence of transfer of enhanced spatial performance to mathematical competence. These findings have important theoretical and practical implications and may impact future training studies and real-life applications.


Participating in this honors program, I have quite enjoyed the privilege of engaging in the full spectrum of what it takes to explore a principled research question: designing of the experiment, administration of experiment, participant recruitment, data collection and management, statistical analysis, and preparing a manuscript. The list really goes on. Looking back, I feel I have grown so much as a researcher through this challenging and rigorous program. However, the first few weeks of the adjusting period was hard. The level of independence and responsibility expected of an honors student was something I had to adjust to. It was definitely challenging to juggle so many things at once while keeping the deadlines you have made for yourself. The honors project is a year-long project, which means there is a long list of things to be checked off with no short deadlines. Also, my other classwork and extracurricular activities were not going to pause and wait for me to finish my honors thesis.  The magnitude of my study overwhelmed me at first, but I slowly learned to manage them.

The process was definitely tough. It was probably one of the most challenging experiences I’ve had at Emory University. However, it brought me its fair share of joyous moments too. Once my study’s methodology had been finalized and I started recruiting participants, I still remember the excitement of testing my very first participant. It was only one participant and I had a long way to go, but I was so thrilled to finally see my study take off. I also remember struggling to write my SIRE (Scholarly Inquiry and Research at Emory) grant proposal, the anxiety of waiting for the results, and the exhilaration I felt after it was approved. It was very fun to work with child participants as well. For my study the children returned to lab for a post-test, and they would tell me stories about how they loved the training I created. Some would even ask how they can play it even after they are done with the experiment. It was amazing to see that my hard work was paying off.

The honors program at Emory University is an experience you need if you are interested in either pursuing research or curious to know if you will like research. You will get a better sense of what kind of research topics you gravitate towards and get a hands-on experience in what conducting a research is really like. It is also great if you are debating on graduate school; I for one have grown certain of attending graduate school after completing my undergraduate studies.

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Independent Research Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese