Skip to main content

Beyond Kindness and Malice


Xinyue Tong was awarded a Spring 2016 Conference Grant to present at the Eastern Michigan University Undergraduate Conference in Philosophy.

Presenting my philosophy paper “Beyond Kindness and Malice” at Eastern Michigan University (EMU)’s 6th Undergraduate Conference in Philosophy has been an unforgettable experience and a fond memory. I not only received instructive feedback from my commenter, but also learned from my fellow presenters. Moreover, attending other presentations and conducting further discussions enabled me to learn new perspectives of philosophy.
The conference started on March 5th at McKenny Hall of EMU. Each presenter had 20 minutes to present his or her research paper with the aid of a white board. After receiving formal comments from a previously assigned commenter, the presenter had 25 minutes to conduct Q & A with the audience.

My presentation was set in the afternoon, and here is a quick view of what my paper was about: “Beyond Kindness and Malice” analyzes and expands on Nietzsche’s aphorism §184 in Beyond Good and Evil. By examining the relationship between “an excessive amount of goodness” and “evilness” from theory to practice, I argue that these two opposing concepts interrelate closely, support and complement each other in light of relativism and ethics. Their coexistence in a fictional context often acts as a strong literary device of dramatic tension for the narrative. However, within constraints of reality, the bond is more visible between good and bad than between good and evil.


After attending the morning session, I was exposed to an enormous amount of new ideas and perspectives, such as the Philosophy of Mind and even using Saul Kripke’s Argument to examine the impossibility of unicorns. Then all of a sudden I felt inspired and added a real world example to my final argument: analyzing the case of Werner Heisenberg in the Atomic Bomb Project. This case actually elicited a meaningful discussion during the Q & A session of my presentation and received positive comments from my commenter.


After my presentation, a philosophy professor at EMU pointed out some potential improvements in my structure, and recommended some other resources, such as Aristotle’s Theory of Evil to further investigate the subject matter. His suggestion was particularly helpful. Even after the end of my session, some other participants reached out to me and we discussed about our own experience and interests in philosophy. Though we barely knew each other before the conference and we had different backgrounds and experiences (A student from the American University of Cairo even flew 16 hours to attend this conference!), our passion for philosophy made us seem to know each other for decades.

I sincerely thank Emory University, and especially Undergraduate Research Programs for making such an experience possible. It has been my very first experience of attending an academic conference, and this memory will stick with me for years to come. 

Visit the Undergraduate Research Programs website to learn more about applying for Conference Grants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Research Wednesday: Aamna's Story

Aamna Soniwala is a sophomore majoring in Human Health (on the pre-dental track) with a minor in Sociology. URP's Research Ambassador Arielle Segal had the pleasure of interviewing Aamna about her research experiences. Here it is:  What research do you do on campus? How long have you been doing it? “I work under Dr. K.M. Venkat Narayan with Dr. Jithin Varghese in the Hubert Department of Global Health at Rollins – specifically within the Emory Global Diabetes Research Center. I started during my second semester of my first year, researching global health equity in diabetes precision medicine.” How did you get started in your research? “I took HLTH 210 last spring, and Dr. Narayan was one of our asynchronous guest lecturers. I felt that I resonated with his values and research, so I reached out to him and started working with a post-doctoral fellow, Dr. Varghese.” How has research impacted your undergraduate career? “Research has allowed me to grow as a critical thinker and problem

A Whole New World of Research

Monica Vemulapalli is a junior majoring in Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology. She was awarded a Spring 2019 Conference Grant which she used to attend the Experimental Biology Conference . When I found out that my first ever research conference was going to be in my hometown of Orlando, Florida, I was excited! I knew that having an unfamiliar event happen at a very familiar place would make me less anxious. However, the conference turned out to be less stressful and more interesting than I ever thought. I attended  Experimental Biology (EB)  and   presented  my very first research poster , a memory that I will definitely cherish forever.

Why Research Wednesday: Katelyn King

  Katelyn King is a senior at Emory’s College of Arts and Sciences, majoring in Biology and minoring in Global Health, Culture & Society. Her research area is on c ancer biology, and she investigates the effects of knocking out anti-apoptotic genes on drug efficacy in multiple myeloma.   Her collegiate research journey started the summer after her first year. She was accepted into the NIH-NIDDK Short-Term Research Experience for Underrepresented Persons (STEP-UP) program and was tasked with finding a mentor. She reached out to Oxford Professor Dr. Taliaferro-Smith because SHE was interested in her triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) research. After a brief informational interview, Dr. Taliaferro-Smith invited Katelyn to join her lab! During the 10-week program, SHE studied the effects of genetic modifications in TNBC. She offered to continue her position on the project throughout the academic year as an Oxford Research Scholar. She has since had the opportunity to conduct rese